View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 11:00 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintr79 View Post
You don't need to spent 150 on a battery and charger maybe 60.That would be 20 for battery and 40 for charger
For a decent charger and battery, yes you do. By decent I mean being able to chose the amperage you want to charge at and be able to run your car for longer than ten minutes.

With my Traxxas Stampede I get about 10 minutes of moderate run time on my cheap 1600mAh batteries from PowerRacing (the first battery I bought). They still have the sticker on them and they cost me $19.99. However, I have an SMC 3800mAh battery which I use all the time, which cost me $45.99 from my LHS, that lasts me about a half an hour. Instead of spending +$65, I could have just purchased the one battery if I would have known prior to purchasing my Stampede which would have been better. You don't want to spend any more money than you have too.

When it comes to charging, I use a Hobbico MKII Quick Field charger. This also cost me $80 and has a variable charging rate from 0.2amps to 2.0amps. I regret paying the measly $80 and only getting this, I could get much more out of my batteries if I were to purchase a more "intellegent" charger.

But, you could go the cheap route and buy a $20 battery and a $20 AC wall charger that takes eight hours to charge your battery and ten minutes to kill it.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."