Thread: Li-Poly
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 10:15 PM

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodmaverick View Post
Ok, I am getting a car with Li-Poly already installed. I am wondering a few basic things about them.
  1. What is a good charger? I heard like "smart charger" and such.
  2. i know you aren't supposed to let them go under 3 volts per cell or else they're toast. do I need a volt meter for that (duh, but is there another way without buying one)
  3. Ok, since I have more power going into the car, I need to know if I can run a hotter motor. I don't know if the FET's will allow that much. It is running a Spinbrush motor right now.
  4. lastly. Would it be good to get 4 of them so I can run 1 set and charge the others?
Thank you so much guys. I'm really good at xmods, but electronics is one of my worst "fields" in xmods next to painting and pricing of parts for sale.
1. I dont know about chargers...

2. Once you see preformance dropping, you need to stop and charge. You will definatly be able to tell when the voltage is falling.

3. You can always run a hotter motor to a certain extent. Once your motor starts pulling more amps than the fets can give out, they will burn. Batterys have nothing to do with what motor you can run.

4. Depends on how much you use yours. If its just 2s (2 in series) which most are you will probably have about 750mAh of playtime which is about, hmm... I wanna say 15-20 minutes with a stock motor before youll need to charge. If you want to run longer, then get more packs. But remember your gonna have to stop and let the motor cool every now and then. I have a couple other homemade devices with lipoly cells in them and they take about 12 hours to charge from 3 volts.

Hope this will help ya, Mabye someone else here knows more about chargers