XmodSource.com

XmodSource.com (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/index.php)
-   Real Cars: Full scale (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Looking for my first car. need help. (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19560)

xmodsunlimited 08-20-2010 02:37 PM

Looking for my first car. need help.

Hey everyone. Just got my permit in June and I would like to have a Car by the time I get my license in December. Last year I bought a 1971 Volkswagen super-beetle. The car had minor body rust..... we thought.... The engine ran great. we came to realize that the entire front end was cancerous. I could see through the floor. However, The Engine runs Great, trani is great suspension is a little worn, Drum brakes are well 39 years old. oh and it has an aftermarket dual exhaust. I am trying to sell it for a grand or at the least, 800$.(ill post pics if anyone wants)

So I need help finding a good to okay condition car for 0 to 800$.
I want something 4dr and preferably AWD but not completely necessary.
does anyone know of anything?:-? :)

-Josh
p.s sorry for the long post.:uhoh:

texan_idiot25 08-21-2010 11:47 AM

-Goto craigslist
-Set price range from 100-1000 (It's OK that it's higher than what you have, owners will haggle)
-Set as a shortcut on browser bar
-OBSESS and STALK many times a day, good cheap cars go fast.

Stay away from:
-90's Fords, except the Mustang or F-series, the rest are notoriously unreliable now days
-Mazda 323, 626, Protoge, RX7 (if it's this cheap, it's ****ed)
-Any Honda that needs valves, timing belt (if mentioned it broke), or a head gasket. Or one with a cooling problem, likely signs that it's in the process of blowing a head gasket.
-Any German car.
-Any Geo, minus the Metro which seems to be decently reliable.
-Anything that does not have a clear title
-Anything that doesn't run
-Carburretted Jap cars
-Just about any Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth that's not the Neon. The rest are complete rubbish, and expensive to fix.
-No DSM, unless utterly stock
-Bottom of the barrel GM cars, like the Cavalier, Sunfire, etc.
-Cadillac with a Northstar and cooling problems, almost impossible to replace the head gasket with out a trained Cadillac tech and special tools
-Early-mid 80s fuel injection, can be a royal ***** to work with in some makes/models

What to look for-
-Non-riced Hondas. IMO late 80s Hondas are far and beyond better than anything from the 90s. In the world of **** boxes, they're solid little cars
-Fuel injected Toyotas
-Big GM cars, especially the midsized W-Body with the 3.8L V6.
-Early 90s Sentras, they're like roaches.
-Trucks

ravevolution 08-22-2010 12:10 AM

Would like to add, when you do find a potential buy. . . check it out with mechanic and have them inspect it out before you commit

Osiris19 08-22-2010 12:35 AM

I got my permit in May, although I most likely won't be getting my license till next year. Anyways, if you do find a potential buy, if you live with your parents have them come with to make sure its legit. Vehicle history report doesn't hurt to.

cryogenic-death 08-22-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 (Post 262762)
What to look for-
-Non-riced Hondas. IMO late 80s Hondas are far and beyond better than anything from the 90s. In the world of **** boxes, they're solid little cars

I would definitely have to agree on this one.

My daily driver is an 88 Acura Legend w/ a V6 that has 230,000 miles on it and it still runs good.

winner 08-22-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Stay away from:
-90's Fords, except the Mustang or F-series, the rest are notoriously unreliable now days

i'd have to argue that...
yes for dont have the best rep in the world but the 97's+ are made pretty well

and the for explorer has been a great truck ever since it came out in 1991 especialy the 40.L the thing is **** near bullet proof ;)

http://www.explorerforum.com/
^and there's 150,544 other people to back the explorer up ;)

FinalGear 08-22-2010 06:23 PM

Keep it real

Quote:

What to look for-
-Fuel injected Toyotas
-Big GM cars, especially the midsized W-Body with the 3.8L V6.
-Early 90s Sentras, they're like roaches.
-Trucks

:nod: yes to this

texan_idiot25 08-22-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winner (Post 262856)
i'd have to argue that...
yes for dont have the best rep in the world but the 97's+ are made pretty well

and the for explorer has been a great truck ever since it came out in 1991 especialy the 40.L the thing is **** near bullet proof ;)

http://www.explorerforum.com/
^and there's 150,544 other people to back the explorer up ;)

There's a forum for the Ford Aspire and Geo Metro, doesn't make them great cars.

Stay away from anything that's not a Mustang, Crown Vic, or truck. Purriod. Explorer is F-series based, but still meh. It brought in the soft-roader SUV age.

xmodsunlimited 08-23-2010 12:06 PM

thanks guys.

btw if anyone is interested in the bug let me know.

NestoFlo 08-23-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

The rest are complete rubbish, and expensive to fix
lol
Thats bluddy rite..

I suggest just getting something that runs and cheap..