XmodSource.com

XmodSource.com (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Cheap Desktop Suggestions? (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18111)

imnotmikal 11-30-2009 09:30 PM

Cheap Desktop Suggestions?

Can you guys help me find a cheap desktop?

It will be used primarily for Xbox Live (Connect Xbox via Ethernet to avoid buying the wireless adapter)
It will be plugged into a 32" hdtv as the monitor, so it would be great if it had HDMI, but it's not completely necessary.
Needs at least 2 or 3 USB ports.
When not in use for XBL, it will be used for light websurfing (no flash games) and for music.

I really don't want a giant device, I'm thinking more along the size of a Mac Mini, but not that price, and a PC.

I'm looking to spend less than $400 (just the PC, no monitor or other accessories included)

Thanks guys.

Donziikid 11-30-2009 10:03 PM

Check MicroCenter for a refurbished XP or Vista system. I picked up my HP SR2180NX for $299 with Vista a while back. You may be able to find something less expensive, and potentially better, in their refurbished section.

Cheers,
Kyle.

GearHeadV8 11-30-2009 10:18 PM

Or maybe a really good net book. That way it is really small, wireless, 2-3 usb, and you can plug it into a moniter.

Other wise e-machine but those are like ewwy

imnotmikal 12-01-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearHeadV8 (Post 243455)
Or maybe a really good net book. That way it is really small, wireless, 2-3 usb, and you can plug it into a moniter.

Other wise e-machine but those are like ewwy

I was thinking about a netbook as well.
I am currently using an HP Mini for this purpose right now, but I am constantly taking it to school, and unhooking everything. I just want something that I keep plugged up at all time. That way, I won't have to remember to unplug and pack up my netbook in the mornings.

But yeah, if I can't find something like what I'm looking for, I may just end up buying another HP Mini.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good price for what I get?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+A...&skuId=9535434

GearHeadV8 12-01-2009 04:07 PM

To me that looks like a really good deal.

imnotmikal 12-01-2009 04:32 PM

Dang it. I just realized that doesn't have WiFi.

kendallcschm 12-01-2009 07:23 PM

.... i would build my own.. talk to me and ill give you exactly what i would build if i was in your place.. BTW the build i would suggest only costs 382 USD with shipping

imnotmikal 12-01-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendallcschm (Post 243506)
.... i would build my own.. talk to me and ill give you exactly what i would build if i was in your place.. BTW the build i would suggest only costs 382 USD with shipping

PM me with links, please.

kendallcschm 12-01-2009 07:34 PM

pm has been sent... its a really nice system.. i would definitely get it for my self if i was on a budget.. BTW its a quad core

BART 12-01-2009 07:46 PM

Why not just get a dock for your laptop? then you have nothing to unplug, just unclip it from the dock and go. Or even easier, pick up a 10 dollar router so your XBL can always be connected.

clintr79 12-02-2009 12:53 AM

I would just plug it in direct.I had mine through a laptop and it lagged out sometimes.I have it plugged into the router directly now and havent had a problem since.

imnotmikal 12-02-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clintr79 (Post 243542)
I would just plug it in direct.I had mine through a laptop and it lagged out sometimes. I have it plugged into the router directly now and havent had a problem since.

Our router is on the opposite side of the house, and I'm not going to run an ethernet cable that far.
And so far, I haven't lagged out at all. If that ever happens, I'll start thinking of something else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BART (Post 243512)
Why not just get a dock for your laptop? then you have nothing to unplug, just unclip it from the dock and go. Or even easier, pick up a 10 dollar router so your XBL can always be connected.

My laptop does not have a dock port, and I can't find anything that will work my Mini.
Also, the problem isn't dealing with unplugged things, its REMEMBERING to do it. Hah. I can barely remember to take my homework to school, so I always forget the netbook.

I would much rather just get a cheap desktop, since XBL will not be the ONLY thing I use it for.

lol 12-02-2009 06:58 PM

Budget build one yourself, scavenge for parts and im sure you can build a naise one