XmodSource.com

XmodSource.com (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/index.php)
-   XMOD Electronics (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Replacing fets with wire glue (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17873)

xzc426 10-16-2009 12:28 PM

Replacing fets with wire glue

I burnt out my forward fet (and it's repacement fet) a while back and I'm getting around to replacing it. I burned the stock fet because I dragged a hot wire across it, and the replacement because I held the soldering iron on too long (I think), so I'm a bit paranoid to solder on a fet.

So I was wondering if wire glue works fine on fets. Or is there a good reason I should stick to soldering?

Thanks.

TheB1GDude 10-16-2009 01:10 PM

I guess wire glue would work but I'm not 100% sure, the glue is non-conductive so it wouldn't matter if you used a little to much but because its non-conductive your FET legs would have to be right on the money to ensure a bridge, not sure how reliable the glue would be for that.

bondo 10-16-2009 01:52 PM

i'm pretty sure that it won't work period because as B1G said,the glue is non-conductive and one side of each fet needs to be bridged.
all four pins need to be connected to complete the circuit.

if you're unsure of you're soldering skills then i do believe that XXXmodder will work on your fets for the cost of shipping.
a small,padded envelope and shipping to/from just about anywhere in the USA is under $3
check out his service thread and shoot him a PM.

actionB also does this kind of work but i havn't seen him online much.

good luck with it.

Action B 10-16-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xzc426 (Post 240148)
I burnt out my forward fet (and it's repacement fet) a while back and I'm getting around to replacing it. I burned the stock fet because I dragged a hot wire across it, and the replacement because I held the soldering iron on too long (I think), so I'm a bit paranoid to solder on a fet.

So I was wondering if wire glue works fine on fets. Or is there a good reason I should stick to soldering?

Thanks.

Certainly you should stick to soldering. If the board is still fine just give it another shot if you feel comfortable. I mean FETs don't cost THAT much. Are you trying to upgrade or replace with stock ones?

TripleXmodder(akaXXX) 10-16-2009 03:31 PM

Keep the burnt up FETs to practice with. Go to RS and get a roll of de-soldering braid and you can keep reusing those FETs to practice with. In the meantime if you have the replacement FETs I will do them for shipping cost. If you need new FETs then it is $15 per 2 FET stack. ActionB is also available for FET service but speak to him on his prices and options. Just shoot a PM.

I agree.... Don't use wire glue. No good.

BART 10-16-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheB1GDude (Post 240149)
I guess wire glue would work but I'm not 100% sure, the glue is non-conductive so it wouldn't matter if you used a little to much but because its non-conductive your FET legs would have to be right on the money to ensure a bridge, not sure how reliable the glue would be for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondo (Post 240151)
i'm pretty sure that it won't work period because as B1G said,the glue is non-conductive and one side of each fet needs to be bridged.
all four pins need to be connected to complete the circuit.

if you're unsure of you're soldering skills then i do believe that XXXmodder will work on your fets for the cost of shipping.
a small,padded envelope and shipping to/from just about anywhere in the USA is under $3
check out his service thread and shoot him a PM.

actionB also does this kind of work but i havn't seen him online much.

good luck with it.

Wire glue is actually highly conductive (as per their website) but the problem that is unknown is how much heat it could withstand (and I doubt it's very much). The fet legs are the highest current drawing component on the board so I agree with Bondo and B1G and everyone else to stick to solder.

xzc426 10-16-2009 09:38 PM

alright, thanks guys. Looks like I'll be giving soldering another shot.