XmodSource.com

XmodSource.com (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/index.php)
-   XMOD Electronics (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Car has nothing. (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16205)

ling427ttvette 03-01-2009 09:19 PM

Car has nothing.

When I put my stiletto chassis in I completely separated the board from the car. Every wire came off.

I did a power switch by-pass, and re-soldered everything on and hooked up some lith-ions.

I used my bone stock never touched EVO for reference on where to put the wires. I used the old battery tray wires to upgrade the wires going from the board to the servo motor.

I charged up the liths and plugged the connectors together. The servo "centered" itself all the way to the right, and the car has nothing other than that. No steering, no forward, no reverse.

I'm pretty sure all of my connections and solders are strong and good, I know they are in the right place since I used my other as reference. Is it possible that I fried the board while soldering the stuff on there from the heat of the soldering tool? I used a butane powered soldering iron as it's all I have, but I made sure the heat that blows out of the side exit hole was not blowing towards the board to melt it and I never burnt the board with the iron, everything still looks good. The FET's didn't look to have any weird spots on them either.

mr.hotrod 03-01-2009 09:21 PM

all i know is that if your servo went to the right your wires either arent right or its way too much voltage

XMDrifter 03-01-2009 09:23 PM

it could be that your potentiometer got messed up somehow
or you reversed the wiring on something

xmodkidd33 03-01-2009 09:24 PM

I'd say it's either the servo wiring, and you may have toasted an FET. Did you solder with the crystal in?

taiwanesekid05 03-01-2009 09:25 PM

Just to double check, do you have the crystal in?

xmodkidd33 03-01-2009 09:26 PM

Also, you may have bridged the switch contacts to an FET or other component accidentally, look carefully for any shorts.

SkylineLvr 03-01-2009 09:38 PM

My guess on the servo is that the wires are switched or allowing too much current causing it to center to one side. Check for shorts and make sure when you did the power bypass, you didn't bridge the solder to something like an fet (not sure how to do it on an evo, but on a gen 1 you had to scrape some of the board away and put some solder on the second prong). If you can't find what is wrong, then you might want to de-solder the wires and re-solder them back on. It might be a hassle, but you might have overlooked something. I know I've done it before. Good luck fixing it and keep us posted

ling427ttvette 03-01-2009 09:52 PM

Definitely no bridging on the FET's, did not solder with the crystal in, and yes it's in the car and controller now.

In the by-pass I made sure and removed a little extra solder and it has just enough to be by-passed.

I tried two different controllers as well..

texan_idiot25 03-01-2009 11:03 PM

Tried different crystals? Wouldn't be the 1st time that's caused a problem.

Plug a light it in, and see if it's coming on. If I remember right (beena while since I've used a light kit) they only come on once the EP get's a signal from the radio.

ling427ttvette 03-01-2009 11:46 PM

Swapped the crystals and plugged in a light kit.

Light kit flickered when I plugged in the connectors, and then when I switched on the controller I still had nothing.. and yes the lights are supposed to come on once signal is received from the controller.

I'm really thinking it's the board. If I get time tomorrow night I am going to re-solder everything just to make sure, but I might end up needing a new board.

zippo855 03-01-2009 11:49 PM

thats weird. it definately sounds like a issue with it not getting signal from the remote. have you tried holding the remote close to it to see if there is a range issue?

texan_idiot25 03-01-2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ling427ttvette (Post 215234)
Swapped the crystals and plugged in a light kit.

Light kit flickered when I plugged in the connectors, and then when I switched on the controller I still had nothing.. and yes the lights are supposed to come on once signal is received from the controller.

I'm really thinking it's the board. If I get time tomorrow night I am going to re-solder everything just to make sure, but I might end up needing a new board.

It is possible that the radio (transistors I think) could have been damaged. Follow the trace from the antenna. If memory serves correct it's a labeled 50-somethng. These are what get damage when your "range is fried", EX accidentally hitting a power source on the antenna.

xmodkidd33 03-02-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 (Post 215237)
It is possible that the radio (transistors I think) could have been damaged. Follow the trace from the antenna. If memory serves correct it's a labeled 50-somethng. These are what get damage when your "range is fried", EX accidentally hitting a power source on the antenna.

Very possible, similar to the Gen 1's problems.

SkylineLvr 03-02-2009 09:49 PM

Any luck repairing it?

ling427ttvette 03-02-2009 10:01 PM

I won't have much of a chance to fiddle with it tonight. Worked a 12.5 hour day today.. too tired. :lol:

Tomorrow hopefully will be an easier/shorter day for me so I can get some work done on it.

SkylineLvr 03-02-2009 10:02 PM

Right on, good luck with that. I hope you can get it up and running

ling427ttvette 03-02-2009 10:57 PM

I do too. I was so excited that I was going to make my first lithium run on my new chassis that I've been pouring all this money/work into and had a major let down.

Still excited to see how it runs.