XmodSource.com

XmodSource.com (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/index.php)
-   XMOD Electronics (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   "best" electronics for xmod? (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16332)

94exa2 03-19-2009 02:28 AM

"best" electronics for xmod?

hey guys, i was pondering upgrading the electronics in my evo, but not sure what would be the "best" way to go.

mini-z electronics?
micro-t?
iwaiver?

what would everyone consider the "best" out there?

im thinking mini-z, just because i like the 2.4 asf idea. would this be the best bet? also, would the steering radius decrease(as a mini-z turns sharper than an evo xmod) or would the steering just be more...precise?

thanx guys!

SkylineLvr 03-19-2009 05:35 AM

If you upgraded the electronics and the servo, then it would handle more like a Mini-Z. At least I think that is what I have read on the web. If you can wait and save up the money, I would say just buy a 2.4ghz Mini-Z. If you already have a controller that works with a 2.4ghz system, then just buy the chassis w/ electronics. I think you can get them without the controller for like $140, and I think around $220 for one with a controller.

But if your really set on swapping the electronics, I would go for the Mini-Z electronics. Although anyone of the three would be a better electronic system then your Xmod. I think the iwaiver is a good one and the cheapest too. Lower quality then the Mini-Z, but better for then the Xmods. Not sure about the Micro-t, but from what I have heard they are pretty decent

rsx racer 03-19-2009 10:13 PM

Micro T conversions are super easy on a Gen 1 Chassis and performance is excellent. I can provide you a link to my thread if you'd like.

For an Evo, a Mini Z is ideal, but it is expensive. If your not a hardcore racer, get the iwaver.

Sweed 03-20-2009 02:20 PM

Mini-Z hands down.
Possibly I-waver, that's faily cheap.
Micro-T doesn't have enough throttle control for racing or drifting. Bashing.. Maybe, but not on a high power (30mph+) machine...
Stock blows.
Or you can do what the Euro Guys do, and make a custom CF (for the gen1 atleast) chassis and mount proper controls in it. Pull everything out of it's case...

But, personally, I'll take a custom CF Gen1 Chassis with Mini-Z electronics and a Stacked Nelly. The absolute best electronics in the best chassis. Good luck finding a Stacked Nelly though...

EDIT:
Skyline, you won't get close to the Handling of a MR-02 or MA-010. Maybe a MR-01, but the Mini-Z's are INCREDIBLY smooth stock. A xmod (gen1, less gear bind) on full bearings is on par with a stock MR-02 in smoothness of the drivetrain. Then comes the servo and steering, and the Mini-Z's are spot on. A Gen1 (all I really know about) with a Micro-T electronics handles good, but it's the chassis design that fails. Xmod suspension isn't the greatest (gets the job done though) and you end up rolling. Evo's seem better, but eventually fail...

Let me put it this way: EvoT's for the crawlers, Evo's for the newbs and bashers as well as the cheap kids, Gen1's for crazy modifications, and Mini-Z's for racing. World of difference...

bondo 03-20-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweed (Post 217158)

Let me put it this way: EvoT's for the crawlers, Evo's for the newbs and bashers as well as the cheap kids, Gen1's for crazy modifications, and Mini-Z's for racing. World of difference...

you do realize that with this statement, you called alot of well respected and talented members "newb's" and "cheap kids" right?
all over their choice of chassis?

matt sti 03-20-2009 06:12 PM

i would do a v2 board. you don't have to stack fets

XMDrifter 03-20-2009 10:22 PM

well, evos are the only thing available right now, and there's plenty of non-cheap expert modders around here that use evos. don't put any version down just because most of the newbies or cheaps have them.

bondo 03-21-2009 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XMDrifter (Post 217178)
well, evos are the only thing available right now, and there's plenty of non-cheap expert modders around here that use evos. don't put any version down just because most of the newbies or cheaps have them.

don't fret it.
sweeds just an eliteist who thinks he's better then everyone because he built a t-mod and has'nt owned an evo.

94exa2 04-08-2009 11:05 AM

well ive been thinking of going with mini-z electronics(2.4ghz asf with kt-18 tx) but wondering, if i do swap the board would i want the mini-z steering servo/pot, or would i have to use the xmod servo/pot?

also, arent the 2.4mini-z fets 2x2stack of "good" fets? i.e. no replacing/stacking fets to use a stockR motor with lith?

Sweed 04-08-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondo (Post 217163)
you do realize that with this statement, you called alot of well respected and talented members "newb's" and "cheap kids" right?
all over their choice of chassis?

Well, tell me that doesn't apply half the time?
All the really cool **** (save the crawlers) was on the Gen1's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondo (Post 217194)
don't fret it.
sweeds just an eliteist who thinks he's better then everyone because he built a t-mod and has'nt owned an evo.

Ssssshhhhhhhhhh!

Pwnzor1130 04-08-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94exa2 (Post 218860)
well ive been thinking of going with mini-z electronics(2.4ghz asf with kt-18 tx) but wondering, if i do swap the board would i want the mini-z steering servo/pot, or would i have to use the xmod servo/pot?

also, arent the 2.4mini-z fets 2x2stack of "good" fets? i.e. no replacing/stacking fets to use a stockR motor with lith?

Yes, you do have to use the xmod servo/pot. Also, a 2x2 stack is more than enough to run a stockR, but if you got a V2 board it would have more power ( a V2 deletes the need for more FETs and acts a bit like a turbo). If you don't want to use the xmod servo/pot, there is a tutorial to use an HS-55 on an xmod. It's right here http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/show...ighlight=HS-55.

mustanglover 04-08-2009 12:40 PM

i have been looking at this.

micro esc

and for a rx just find a old Rx and strip it down to the board and wrap it in electric tape. a sevo is easy to set up.

Skv012a 04-08-2009 01:31 PM

Sweed, these things never go 30mph, kph is more like it.

TripleXmodder(akaXXX) 04-08-2009 02:23 PM

Hmm. Let me just leave a few blurbs here ... If you guys don't mind .. ah hm.

- You are wasting alot of money buying Mini-Z elecs to put in an Xmod (that's Fact, but maaaannnn, even I am tempted to do it) If you want that kind of nice racer, just buy the Mini-Z

- Xmods are great to mod, you know chop up and hook up all crrrazy like and make cool as projects with. You can make them fast and smoother then stock without destroying a $150 mINI-z to hook up a $40 Xmod.

- Here is my tutorial for a micro servo in an Xmod, it's very easy to follow. http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15454

- Putting this stuff in an Xmod,.. while making the xmod run better (if done well) will NOT make it comparable on a race track to a MR02.

- Sweed has nothing better to say, so ignore that. They are all fun cars, Xmods for me mainly to mod, and Mini-Zs to race... For Me.

- You can use the mini-z POT or not you can do what you like if you know how. there are some Tuts around.

- Final thought ... Don't do it, you'd be happier just buying an MR02 and it wouldn't be much more then buying the PCB. But if you must do it, use the iwaver PCB.. it's only $47 new.

- XXX

bondo 04-08-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweed (Post 218862)
Well, tell me that doesn't apply half the time?
All the really cool **** (save the crawlers) was on the Gen1's.

no, i don't think that it applies at all.
i think it has alot more to do with availability.
Evo's are in abundance and gen1's are all but becoming extinct.
personally i don't see the point in buying a $40 gen1 chassis and a $60 ESC.
might aswell just save another $15 and buy the Z or T.

all of the "cool ****" your referring to was done to gen1's mainly because they were the first out leaving few "firsts" for the EVO.

i agree with XXX though, there isn't much point in buying a new board for the sole purpose of swapping out the Xmod esc.
if you've got an extra laying around then go for it, otherwise your just ****ing away money on an inferior platform.

Skv012a 04-08-2009 04:58 PM

Platform is actually not that bad, but its a matter of having decent upgrades after the board to make the swap truly worth it. All or half GPM xmod w/ 2.4 board might rival some Zs, but like you guys said- rest of the upgrades will be all on you. Plus its a matter of wanting to rebuild upgrades that get smashed in races.

My thoughts are that if you're gonna waste any of your time on a RC, you might as well make it productive. All the effort you put into a Z pays off at the track. All the effort you put in a xmod... well, I really don't know aside from personal satisfaction and dust.

94exa2 04-09-2009 11:34 AM

ok, so bash me because i wanna use mini-z electronics in an xmod? sry i like my xmod...

so can i use the mini-z servo motor/pot?

bondo 04-09-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94exa2 (Post 218970)
ok, so bash me because i wanna use mini-z electronics in an xmod? sry i like my xmod...

don't get all ****y kiddo...
no one is bashing you.
all were saying is that it isn't cost effective to buy a H/G ESC for an Xmod.

TripleXmodder(akaXXX) 04-09-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94exa2 (Post 218970)

No one is "BASHING" like I said Im very tempted to do it too. But it my better judgement holds me back. I have done many, many mods PCB swaps servo swaps... whatever. It's fun to do, but why wouldn't you just get a Mini-Z.

TRUST me, you are not gonna get any great performance advantage, you will still be limited to the inferior xmod chassis. Im trying to save you from wasting your money.

Like I said get the iwaver PCB if you must do it (only $47) or use a PCB from somthing that is broken. Your free to do what you like, If you really must do it im sure you will definately have fun doing it.

........ If you had a georgeous 67 Camaro and a broke down 89 nissan sentra, would you take the motor out of the Camaro to hook up the Sentra ... or would you drive the Camaro. That's what this mod is comparison to.

Pwnzor1130 04-09-2009 12:14 PM

Well, I do believe XXX said you can.