XmodSource.com

XmodSource.com (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/index.php)
-   Real Cars: Full scale (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   $700 bucks for a new to me STi :) (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15311)

AJB32690 12-24-2008 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDisFASTER (Post 200421)
Everyone else - As of now, I can think of 2 people who shouldn't even be posting in this thread... How many people in this thread even OWN cars... And no, saying that your parents are gonna give you their car in 2 years does NOT count...

Too many noobs her who don't know what they're talking about.

SPR knows his Subaru stuff, so does Numbchux, since its pretty much all they do. Texan does GM stuff. All you other noobs who're second guessing should pipe down! :)

And this is why I didn't say much. I don't know much about subarus and I know it. I know V8s, and I have one. Actually, I own two cars. I'm new to Fords, but learning quickly. I am planning a complete V8 build-up next year. So please, do not refer to me as a noob.

SPR - Man... That sucks about the shipping companies... If I were you, I would either borrow or buy a trailer, use it to get the car, and then sell the trailer. I don't know about out there, but near me, there are a lot of used trailers for sale and they are all under $1000.

Or maybe, try to convince the moving companies that since its almost Christmas, and this has been your dream car since you were a little boy, that they should cut you some slack.

Or just blow up the world. Yeah, I kinda like that idea. I have no clue how it will help you, but I like it!

SPR 12-24-2008 05:13 AM

i dont think he was talking about you. you werent on my list anyways.

ive got several car trailers i can use/own. anything from a $500 dollar beater trailer, to a $40 thousand dollar 3 Car Roll back trailer.

problem with that is. i dont feel like making a 6000 mile trip. By the time i paid for diesel for 6000 miles, paid for hotel rooms for atleast 10 nights (if i went by my self) food for all that time and everything else... id be WAY over 1400 bucks. No thanks lol. Id rather sit my happy *** inside and watch the snow fall lmao.

AJB32690 12-24-2008 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPR (Post 200434)
i dont think he was talking about you. you werent on my list anyways.

ive got several car trailers i can use/own. anything from a $500 dollar beater trailer, to a $40 thousand dollar 3 Car Roll back trailer.

problem with that is. i dont feel like making a 6000 mile trip. By the time i paid for diesel for 6000 miles, paid for hotel rooms for atleast 10 nights (if i went by my self) food for all that time and everything else... id be WAY over 1400 bucks. No thanks lol. Id rather sit my happy *** inside and watch the snow fall lmao.

:lol:. lazy.

So, I'm assuming nothing can be done about the steering before it gets shipped?

SPR 12-24-2008 05:28 AM

LOL call me crazy, but 8-9 hours on the road straight for 10 days doesnt sound like fun to me haha. sounds like a sore *** and a boring driving to go by your self. i know theres no way in hell i could talk the GF into going, and no one else i know could take off work for 10 days just to go pick up a friggen car lol.

there is no steering rack in the car at all. nor a steering colum with a wheel. Even if i wanted to waste a bunch of money on wasted parts that i wouldnt need after i got the car to me, i doubt i could take the guy into installing them for me for free. he already is cutting me a super deal on the car since he knows its going to cost a bunch to ship it.

So basically in short term. No. nothing in reason and cost effective.

* edit, plus there is no crossmember, which is what the steering rack fits onto. so theres just one more part holding that idea under water.

Numbchux 12-24-2008 06:59 AM

yikes....no crossmember either? so the control arms are only held on at the one pivot point. yea, that's going to be hella interesting to move. even if the wheels are pointed the right direction, they're not going to track right.

XMDrifter 12-24-2008 11:40 AM

well, the first part of learning is getting people to tell you how noobish you are, then the second part is getting them to share some knowledge
which i'm a noob in any aspects subaru. which is why i'm following this thread.

texan_idiot25 12-24-2008 01:54 PM

Have you priced DAS auto shipper? eBay recomends them for shipping, but when I shipped the Firebird here it only cost about$740. And that was from Sacramento California to Houston TX, and then it was towed on a wrecker to my driveway. Only hitch was the car was a day late, but weather was hell that day so I can imagine slowed delivery.

SPR 12-24-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numbchux (Post 200444)
yikes....no crossmember either? so the control arms are only held on at the one pivot point. yea, that's going to be hella interesting to move. even if the wheels are pointed the right direction, they're not going to track right.

yup, doesnt have any subframes or nothing. its stripped to pretty much the max. im surprised the hubs and suspension are there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 (Post 200494)
Have you priced DAS auto shipper? eBay recomends them for shipping, but when I shipped the Firebird here it only cost about$740. And that was from Sacramento California to Houston TX, and then it was towed on a wrecker to my driveway. Only hitch was the car was a day late, but weather was hell that day so I can imagine slowed delivery.

ive got quotes from over 20 companys. and every company is virtually the same. and no one wants to deal with a car that doesnt roll and steering because it makes getting it on the trialer nearly impossible.

you paid 740 for a short trip from cali to texas. oregon to new jersey is a hell of a lot further. they are going to want 1000 bucks like everyone else. if they will even deal with a non steering car.

xmodzracer 12-24-2008 03:34 PM

Hate to say it but its looking like your only options are to drive down there and tow it back, or to pay the $1400 and have a company get it. It is quite a long drive (done NC to Colorado Twice but nowhere near that far) so your estimates will be high and the drive might be painful. Driving may be a little better since Diesel (SP?) is getting cheaper, and for food you can pack a bunch of sandwich stuff and bring food like you would on a camping trip. that right there saves you a ton. If your driving a Diesel truck i would guess ( though im probably wrong,) that you have a little extra space in there to camp out in. It all depends on how badly you want this car.

SPR 12-24-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmodzracer (Post 200521)
Hate to say it but its looking like your only options are to drive down there and tow it back, or to pay the $1400 and have a company get it. It is quite a long drive (done NC to Colorado Twice but nowhere near that far) so your estimates will be high and the drive might be painful. Driving may be a little better since Diesel (SP?) is getting cheaper, and for food you can pack a bunch of sandwich stuff and bring food like you would on a camping trip. that right there saves you a ton. If your driving a Diesel truck i would guess ( though im probably wrong,) that you have a little extra space in there to camp out in. It all depends on how badly you want this car.

unfortunatley. the work truck id be able to borrow. is the ***est diesel in the world!! 2wd and std. cab. it does have a long bed. but i couldnt even put a canopy on it because its got head ache racks, and tool boxes and a diesel fuel tank in the back.

i thought about borrowing my friends enclosed car trailer. its got room in the front to sleep in.. but it would be the worlds greatest pain in the *** EVER to get that car in a inclosed trailer. and i dont feel like paying to fix the damage im 99% positive i would inflict on a 20K Race Car Trailer.

but even if i stayed in the truck, its still a 6k mile trip. thats still over 1200 bucks in diesel fuel alone at best. probably closer to $1300 or 1400 though. food would be another 100 bucks no matter what way i did it. so id rather just sit at home..

xmodzracer 12-24-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPR (Post 200532)
unfortunatley. the work truck id be able to borrow. is the ***est diesel in the world!! 2wd and std. cab. it does have a long bed. but i couldnt even put a canopy on it because its got head ache racks, and tool boxes and a diesel fuel tank in the back.

i thought about borrowing my friends enclosed car trailer. its got room in the front to sleep in.. but it would be the worlds greatest pain in the *** EVER to get that car in a inclosed trailer. and i dont feel like paying to fix the damage im 99% positive i would inflict on a 20K Race Car Trailer.

but even if i stayed in the truck, its still a 6k mile trip. thats still over 1200 bucks in diesel fuel alone at best. probably closer to $1300 or 1400 though. food would be another 100 bucks no matter what way i did it. so id rather just sit at home..

lol then i guess your gonna have to ship it... but i still think it would be worth it. just think all your saving from buying a NEW subaru lol...

SPR 12-24-2008 04:09 PM

yeah i keep telling my self that. its worth it. problem is i need $1500 bucks CASH.

I dont want to rob my camaro fund... and thats pretty much the only cash in that ammount i have right now... So im working on that part. i dont mind putting the car on a credit card, i can pay that off in just a couple months. but the shipping companys wants COD, and a truck driver doesnt take a credit card.

xmodzracer 12-24-2008 04:12 PM

hmm yeah thats a problem... at least if someone else ships it, it will be their fault if anything gets messed up... or you can say they striped it and claim insurance =Þ... lol sorry I'm a little hyped up on caffeine...

texan_idiot25 12-24-2008 04:13 PM

DAS takes cards.

Or just go road trippin' if the costs are around the same. More fun. See Andy's burbrific adventure: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=260487

SPR 12-24-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmodzracer (Post 200546)
hmm yeah thats a problem... at least if someone else ships it, it will be their fault if anything gets messed up... or you can say they striped it and claim insurance =Þ... lol sorry I'm a little hyped up on caffeine...

the truck driver and current owner have to go over an inspection on the car. note its current condition and both sign on the contract.

and then when it gets here, the same truck driver and i have to re go over it and make sure its to par. So that idea wouldnt work lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 (Post 200549)
DAS takes cards.

Or just go road trippin' if the costs are around the same. More fun. See Andy's burbrific adventure: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=260487

ill look into it, thanks tex.

road trippin cost a lot more though. the fuel for me would be the same as shipping it. then i have hotel rooms and food on top of it. and 10 days of straight 9 hours of driving doesnt seem like fun to me lol.

texan_idiot25 12-24-2008 04:24 PM

How is it 10 days of nine hours? That's a 2-3 day trip. Take a swing down south to TX where Noturday, XI, CivicGuy, Atomic mods, Surgeon and I are. Suicide could even bring the Blazer from New Orleans.

Hotels are for softies. Sleep in the cab. Tent it at rest stops. eat Mc Donalds or the Wendy's dollar menu. Diesel trucks average pretty well on the freeway, even when towing (say, around 20 mpg cruising). Since it's cold now A/C won't drag ya down either.

XMDrifter 12-24-2008 04:24 PM

hope you get it soon to start working on it.

and from the totaled subbie you're bidding on, how much is left undamaged that you can use?
are the wheels still good?

xmodzracer 12-24-2008 04:32 PM

yeah i think that tex and i are in the same boat. ive moved 15 times in 17 years so im soo used to the long boring road trips...

SPR 12-24-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 (Post 200561)
How is it 10 days of nine hours? That's a 2-3 day trip. Take a swing down south to TX where Noturday, XI, CivicGuy, Atomic mods, Surgeon and I are. Suicide could even bring the Blazer from New Orleans.

Hotels are for softies. Sleep in the cab. Tent it at rest stops. eat Mc Donalds or the Wendy's dollar menu.

its 2800 miles one way. map quest says its a 42 hour drive one way.

so 84 hours... driving 8.4 hours a day would take 10 days... maybe 8 or 9 if i stretched a couple 9-10 hour days. but i get tired to easy driving straight like that. slooow and long ride... boring.

texas would be a long ways out of the way concidering i would never drop lower south than colorado. and would you sleep 9-10 nights in your chevy pickup? i sure as hell dont want too. thats uncomfortable as ****. and right now with the snow storms everywhere. thats COLD as **** too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XMDrifter (Post 200563)
hope you get it soon to start working on it.

and from the totaled subbie you're bidding on, how much is left undamaged that you can use?
are the wheels still good?

the wheels are trashed. the front end and suspension is gone. the frame is bent. but the motor and transmission and everything else is in great shape. it will provide me with all the parts i need except for some front end parts like axles. and it will have tons of good parts left to sell to make some money back.

aShBaBy 12-24-2008 04:48 PM

I really hope you DONT get this thing!! its sooo ugly!!!