XmodSource.com

XmodSource.com (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/index.php)
-   Real Cars: Full scale (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   1950 Ford F1 Restoration. (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11379)

jabari 09-16-2008 10:34 PM

Yesss. We got the springs in! Now we just have to wait for the **** hardware for them.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...mmmmmmm235.jpg

urownstupidity 09-17-2008 12:53 AM

you know air ride would be cool ive put an airride kit on a 40s model and it was ez(wasnt my truck)

but im gunna watch this i love ths year man and you look to be doing a great job

jabari 09-17-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urownstupidity (Post 181934)
you know air ride would be cool ive put an airride kit on a 40s model and it was ez(wasnt my truck)

but im gunna watch this i love ths year man and you look to be doing a great job

I've been trying to talk my dad into putting air suspension on it, but he doesn't want to. When I have the time and money for an old truck, like A C10, I plan on putting air suspension on it. Thanks.

jabari 09-16-2010 02:13 PM

Welllll, it's been a while since we've done anything on the truck(time/money issues). A little while ago the fuel pump broke on it and my dad replaced it. After thinking about it a little more, he wants to go with an electric fuel pump. Does anybody know a good site and a a good brand for one? Ours is mechanical and my dad doesn't really seem to like it.

TheB1GDude 09-16-2010 02:30 PM

Great build thread! The F1 definitely ranks as one of my favorite all time trucks and having one as your first ride would be sweet (possible even sweeter than having tex's CST10 as your first ride but only because I prefer Ford over Chevy :))

What sort of money you looking spend on the fuel pump? Do you need any sort or boosted pump or will a regular one do you?

Blade. 09-16-2010 07:21 PM

If your still having that Steering column problem, for your headers you can always buy a geometry item. It'll allow you to run headers with power steering, but the item is a pretty penny, cost me $264.53(cad.) for the S10.

Looks good however.

Tom.

texan_idiot25 09-16-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabari (Post 263998)
Welllll, it's been a while since we've done anything on the truck(time/money issues). A little while ago the fuel pump broke on it and my dad replaced it. After thinking about it a little more, he wants to go with an electric fuel pump. Does anybody know a good site and a a good brand for one? Ours is mechanical and my dad doesn't really seem to like it.

Mechanical pumps are safer and more reliable than an add-on electric fuel pump. There's also no extra modification to accept it. Keep in mind you'll need new rubber lines and a regulator, with the additional wiring.

Safety however becomes the problem, unless you wire it off an oil PSI switch or something. In the event of a wreck it's going to keep pumping fuel regardless of what the rest of the engine is doing- running or not. Mechanical pumps stop with the motor, no problem.

Mech. pumps don't often die, they're not harmed by running dry, and have no drawbacks unless you're running some wild motor.

Summit, & Jegs are your best friend.

jabari 12-08-2010 09:54 PM

Welllllll it's been a while. My pops has decided he wants to switch to an automatic transmission. I don't know too much about them, except that there are different models and what not.

What do you guys think would be a good atuo tranny for this truck? It has a 1968 360 v8. My dad is on a budget too.

Thanks in advance!

supraboi97 12-08-2010 11:48 PM

A C4 transmission should work fine, in fact its what I have in my car and a pretty sturdy trans overall. Or if you want something for a little more heavy duty and what not a C6 wouldn't be a bad choice

jabari 12-09-2010 12:02 AM

I kinda figured between those two. I know the C6 is pretty heavy duty as they use it on alot of 4x4 and the C4 should be good enough since nothing major is going to be done to the engine or drive it crazy.

Note; My dad doesn't plan on hot rodding the truck so as long as its a pretty good tranny he'll be a happy camper.

supraboi97 12-09-2010 12:08 AM

Ya my car has the C4 and its got a few mods and had been hot rodded a while. But I stopped like 6 months ago and it only gave me problems once with the linkage but it was the original trans.

jabari 12-09-2010 12:16 AM

Do you think it would fit on a 360? I told my dad and we saw a couple on craigslist.

Edit: I looked it up and I guess it seems the c4 wont fit a big block ford. So, we'll have to go with the c6. But, at least we know it'll be strong :)

Blade. 12-09-2010 12:43 AM

360 Mopar? Or the Ford one?:lol:

jabari 12-09-2010 01:02 AM

Ford lol. It's a Ford truck, so my dad wants to keep it as Ford as he can :)

jabari 01-04-2011 12:02 AM

Wellll My dad has decided he wants to get rid of our Ranger since we keep putting money into and things just keep breaking. So my question is, do you guys know of any parts we should save from it that might help us on the '50? I was going to take a look at the rear end and see what model it is. Specs on the truck are

1990 Ford Ranger Reg cab 2.3L in line 4 with a 5 spd.

texan_idiot25 01-04-2011 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabari (Post 266751)
Wellll My dad has decided he wants to get rid of our Ranger since we keep putting money into and things just keep breaking. So my question is, do you guys know of any parts we should save from it that might help us on the '50? I was going to take a look at the rear end and see what model it is. Specs on the truck are

1990 Ford Ranger Reg cab 2.3L in line 4 with a 5 spd.

If you're planning to part it out.. Seats, see what that 5 speed can be used with, if any V8 motors bolt up (maybe weak to abuse, but cheap OD tranny), wheels/tires, axle (if the width works for you, it's a matter of welding leaf spring perches, etc), wiring connectors with a few inches of wire at each end (always handy for their weather-pack connectors on projects), relays, if there's an easy to remove fuse block, horn, sway bars if you can find a fit...

I think the most donated parts in the CST10 are wiring bits from late model cars, like the extra fuse block, big-*** bolt-down fuse from an Escalade for the alt, clock, etc.

jabari 01-04-2011 01:00 AM

I was thinking the same thing Tex. Rear end should be wide enough. Hopefully it is. The more parts we can use the better Lol. My dad was also thinking if the steering box and steering pump will work on this maybe? I guess he doesn't like the way the pump is set up right now for some reason.

texan_idiot25 01-04-2011 03:41 AM

I don't know about the box, but go see if the pump is the same. GM effectively used the same P/S pump on the small block for it's entire lifespan. Different pullies and such, but you can interchange them all pretty easily if I recall right. The same pump was bolted onto several other motors too. Maybe Ford was just as cheap.

jabari 02-05-2011 12:19 AM

Wellll I picked up a a Classis Trucks mag for my pops today and when we were looking through it we saw some IFS kits for sale. When my dad seen it, he said he'd like to do something like that on our truck(which is suprising becuz i told him about an IFS a while ago and he had no interest in it). I guess he wants to do it now(which makes me a happy camper) and while we are at it, bow the frame.

So my question is, what front clip would be good for this truck? We were thinking a mustang II front clip, but are open to suggestions. Please dont suggest a kit, as my dad doesn't have a $1000 or more for one. Like whish car and such would be a good candidate?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I read on google that some people have tried an i beam suspension from a f150 for that front dealio. What are you thoughts on this?

supraboi97 02-05-2011 06:30 PM

The mustang II fronts are pretty common in these type of builds so finding info and helpful tips would be very easy in this case. However if wanting something a little different I have seen people put the fronts of a corvette c4 before, I believe my friends dads 50 chevy has a c4 front clip. Again though would be easier to find pictures and stuff from the mustang II as its more commonly done.